Pat Lefemine 28-Feb-22
SBH 01-Mar-22
Zbone 01-Mar-22
Huntaholic 01-Mar-22
Mark Watkins 26-Mar-22
Huntcell 26-Mar-22

Date:01-Feb-22

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo

I left my soybeans standing in Ohio and they seem to working.

I got a ruff count of 40 deer.

By: Ambush

Is the cam set in Plot Watcher mode?

By: t-roy

Looks like they’ve got em cleaned off pretty good.

That’s only about 10% of that field. I’ve got about 200-300 deer on my land every evening.

Holy crap that's amazing!!

That’s insane

Nice, you could flock shoot

Maybe next year you could have a "Win a Hunt With Pat" drawing. :-)

By: BOHNTR

Wow!

By: JL

^...."Maybe next year you could have a "Win a Hunt With Pat" drawing. :-) "

Oh heck ya!!!!! Have a Doe-A-Thon.

Pat, how many acres is your Ohio property. 200 - 300 evening deer. Now that is something special.

Sign me up for a hunt at Pat's!!!!

Two feathers, it’s 130 acres

Sign me up for the raffle ; )

I sure hope the “win-a-hunt-with-Pat” sweepstakes isn’t tied to the score from the Blood trail Challenge!

And you live in CT why? :)

By: Zbone

Dang NCK, I just spit my drink...8^)))

That’s incredible! You must be feeling good about your decision to buy ground in Ohio. I like the “win-a-hunt-with-Pat” idea! Would make a great auction for a charity.

By: sitO

Is there a certain "set" you're after?

Thats a dream right there. Shed hunting is almost like the rut for me. How many acres is field? And what did that cost to plant the field?

t-roy's embedded Photo

Highly effective, but not recommended shed hunting technique.

I know this set is on my land, just need to find it

Grunted that field is 14 acres, 11 in beans and 3 in corn. There’s a smaller 4 acre field next to it. Cost me 1k to plant and fertilize it.

200 - 300 deer @ 130 acres comes out to about 1,000 - 1,500 deer per sq mile. After fawning those numbers are going up. And I thought we had a lot of deer here in cow country. I should move to Ohio.

Pat, you should seriously consider a Bowsite raffle for a bow hunt with you in Ohio. I think you would raise a lot of $$$ for a deserving charity.

By: Shiloh
Date:02-Feb-22

I would assume that a lot of those deer are coming from surrounding properties, but maybe he meant they were all living on his property???

Agreed. I bet most or all does and fawns within a mile are wintering on your property right now. There are probably scattered lone deer or small groups still within that area, but I think the odds are high that most are on your property at the moment.

By: Slate

Nice Pat

By: LINK

If it’s pulling deer from a mile each direction, then it’s more like 75 deer per square mile. That means more like 15 resident deer on pats 130 acres. Pretty neat they are all there now though.

His place is probably a deer yard. I have only seen 1 in my lifetime in the park system in Ohio where I grew up. Deer flocked there in the winter. 1/3 as many deer in summer. I think once we saw a herd of over 40 - one group. I have never seen another herd of whitetails over 20 anywhere ever - other then that 1 group. Troy man that is BAD luck. You could not do that again if you tried. I found sheds from bucks I had pics of for the first time a couple years ago. I thought it was really cool.

That’s correct. I’m pulling deer from the surrounding properties because I leave my crops standing while everyone else harvests them. Many of these deer are bedding on my property now but during the season I have about 40 that are bedding on me.

I wouldn’t want that many deer there all year round. I’d never be able to grow anything. But even during the season my ground is the destination.

What a success! Good work Pat.

On a serious note, I wonder if your woods is getting browsed to hell by pulling all those deer there. Maybe that is meaningless in ag country though.

Nice work Pat!

By: BC

That's great. Keeping the deer fed and healthy too.

12 yards. My property was select cut and clear cut in spots.it’s a jungle which is great security and bedding cover. 500 deer couldn’t make a dent. But I bet I have 50% of my beans left, last year I had similar numbers and I was plowing beans under in the spring. So I don’t expect browsing damage.

By: goyt

Pat, your deer should come out of the winter in great shape. About what date do you think that the deer started to really hit the bean field?

Looks like Montana deer numbers. One still carrying...

Don't know about standing beans Cliff, nobody in my areas allowed them to stand this long...8^) My area they feast on them all summer long until they start turning gold/brown when they seem to abandoned them to return this time of year for the bean scraps... I do know they concentrate to major food sources like winter wheat/rye in my area (and my feeder) which usually starts getting hit heavily around Christmas/New Years week, depending on the snow... Snow seems to be the key, the earlier the snow, the heavier the snow, the earlier the concentration... A few might show up at first then almost daily more begin trickling in.... What baffles me, how in the heck do they communicate to others a mile or even miles away to say - "hey the feast is over here"...8^) My feelings is it's sort of a migration, different summer and winter ranges... They don't migrate like western mulies, elk, and pronghorns for dozens even hundreds of miles, but not uncommon for Ohio whitetails to move 3 or 4 or more miles in winter to a major food source... In some of the more northern states and provinces with less agriculture, with snows belly deep they'll yard is a small area barely moving...

Pat - How are they hitting your winter wheat/rye?

Those Amish are just waiting to get out and pick up the sheds. :)

Goyt, probably around January 1st

Zbone- I didn’t plant winter wheat this year. They didn’t hit it that hard last year since there was so many beans.

Date:03-Feb-22

Thornton's embedded Photo

I had 33 deer all December last year visiting my place and I don't think I found more than 4 sheds. The neighbor that owns the bedding area down the road always finds a bunch though from the same deer.

By: Boris

Went out yesterday, looking to do some trimming in this one area. Even though the snow is knee deep and heavy. I did my stand setup and covered about 1.5 miles. Tired and sore today. But, happy to find a pair of sheds, and a small 6 pt. antler. The set was in the bed.

Congrats Boris! I just got to my farm last night. I probably won’t look for sheds yet since I’m bowhunting for does now until the season closes. It probably won’t be too hard to kill a doe here right now :-)

Hope you don’t find any sheds with your tractor tires this summer!

My real world beans have been really shatter resistant and have many still in pods with 10-20 deer on the 5 acres every night and still beans left.

Thanks Pat. But the sheds that I am after are from an 8pt. that I would say is as big if not bigger than the buck from the mega 8 thread. An his side kick is a high rack 8 that might go as big if not bigger. The first 8 is probably 22 inside and the second is probably 19. I do have a good idea were their bed at. If you came across I-90, you saw how much snow we got. But it is down a little. We are looking at getting at least another foot or more by friday.

Got it Boris. Hope you find his sheds!

I walked 100 yards and found my first an hour ago.

Good luck Boris Hope you can post those 2 - 8pts shortly Pat some nice bucks. We see similiar by us 30-40 deer a night in diff fields of standing beans

Recognize that buck, Pat?

Yes, I know pretty much every buck on my property. Nice 2.5 year old.

I think he passed him this year T-Roy. He needs another year or two lol

By: Jasper

That’s awesome Pat! Congratulations on your own slice of hunting heaven!

By: Rob

I had a big plot of beans this year and they still have beans hanging on them. I haven't seen a deer in them since they turned brown. They haven't touched the turnips in 2 years. Finicky suckers I guess.

Date:04-Feb-22

One down. Hunted for one hour. Ok with me, it was pretty damn cold. Digging for bulbs in my brassicas.

Date:05-Feb-22

Can the state biologist issue you more doe tags?Seems some major thinning needs to a occur

How many doe tags do you have? Better look them over pretty good! Easy to shoot a shed buck by mistake this time of year.

Horse heads are the best. Enjoy

Troy and Charlie x2

Nice Doe pat

I’m in a 3 deer county which means I can take a buck and 2 does, or 3 does if I don’t get a buck during the season.

I have one doe tag left.

I kicked up 30+ deer on my way in this afternoon.

sticksender's embedded Photo

They like waste corn too. This pic is a deer yard here in Indiana, a day before the blizzard we just had here. There were 51 in this group, and more in another group a couple hundred yards away.

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo

Here's an elk yard near my place. This is about half of the herd, I couldn't get the rest in the frame. They mow that alfalfa field down to the dirt every winter.

Matt

Amazing GG. Would love to drive around that type of country seeing that! Road trip soon!

Nice shot Pat, congrats!

I hunted my 4 acre plot tonight. Saw over 100 deer. There was so many deer it was damn near impossible to get a shot. Got busted a couple times.

I had deer in range at last light but couldn’t confirm they weren’t shed bucks so I held off.

One day left to fill that tag Pat...8^) Pressure is on...8^)

Date:06-Feb-22

Pressure is off. Only saw 17 this morning.

Nice shooting, congrats. Hunting in the snow is great.

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo

I saw approximately 40 yesterday and 20 or so today out back while bunny hunting. Only one decent buck in the bunch. Found a dead head in my swamp. Luckily I was carrying a tomahawk

Happiness is a good blood trail in the snow.....

Dang Pat, you da man...8) Congrats!

I don't feel so good now. She was carrying two buck fawns. :-(

No worries. Twins are a sign of good herd health.

Helped with a deer study awhile back with choppers and we were netting wt and mulies, had vets there with sono. Almost all had twins, so no reason to feel bad.

I don't feel bad because she was pregnant, I feel bad because we have too many does, and with this kill I took out a doe, and two future bucks.

Pat - Being able to tell the fawns sex, I assume they are developed enough to make the coolest conversation piece there is...8^) If not gone by coyotes or critters nor grotesque, clean them up and put and them in a jar and fill it with alcohol... You will get the craziest reactions from those who view them... Usually people will either totally freak or think it's the coolest thing, there usually no in between...8^) Wouldn't want to display them in the front room, but some hunters will enjoy (if they don't freak out...8^)) I assume they are all white without fur yet, mine were fully developed with fur and spots ready to drop from April roadkills...

Got the idea from my junior high science classes, they had pickled twin fawns in my science classroom which I'd seem to stare at for hours... Probably helped with my fascination of whitetails at an early age...

BTW, did the other doe have embryos too?

No pix, ah man, you're killing me Smalls...8^)))

(I do get why though)

Date:07-Feb-22

I always figure them bucks will leave the area anyway. Look at it this way.....your neighbors have 2 less bucks to shoot. But i know what youre saying. Bit of risk with the late season hunt.

Nice to see there are deer in some places where I hunt manistee national forest their finer than frogs hair.

By: APauls

Don't worry Pat. They would probably have dispersed anyways at 1.5 years old ;)

That's the problem when you get that granular. You can put too much pressure on yourself and take the fun out. "Can't shoot a doe near darkness not sure if she's a shed buck or not. Damn it now I shot a doe that had 2 buck fawns instead of the 1 I counted on..."

So as compared to killing 1 future buck fawn that you had expected you now killed 2. Big whoop. There's a million deer around. Coyotes are going to do a lot more damage than that.

By: Blood

I hope we have a bloodtrail challenge on the snow……

Hopefully snows not to crunchy so we can get a good idea on the direction too Blood lol

Yeah those PA radio collared button bucks convinced me over half of yearling bucks disperse... Like the cliché, "Can't count your chickens before they're hatched", ya can't count your bucks before they're fawned...8^)

In all seriousness, I probably would have felt bad too seeing those buck fawns...

Date:08-Feb-22

Got a new pic tonight, I count 70 in this pic. I'm here now and there are deer everywhere. Lots of bucks including a couple of new bucks too.

That's a bunch of deer. Are you seeing horns or did most of them drop already?

Front and center deer looks like a shed buck in a tending posture after the doe fawn on the left... Notice his dark capped forehead, wide between the ears with burly body... Time now is right for doe fawns to come in estrus...

I can’t comprehend of a property with so many Deer. Simply can’t envision it

There's a lot that have dropped, but I'm still getting new bucks showing up. Here's one from tonight.

BTW, did you find the sheds off that big 8?

This is the same field in July. It's thrilling to see results like this after all of the work and expense.

Zbone, I've not started looking for sheds yet. We had about a foot of snow that's melting now - so no sense traipsing around bumping hundreds of deer around. I'll start looking soon.

Date:09-Feb-22

Incredible Pat. Looks like you hit the jackpot with that property. Great work turning it into a deer paradise. Very cool.

I love ohio....

Pat, wow what a beautiful crop, that has to be one of the cleanest (weed free) fields I've ever seen.

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo

Is that an Amish hunter I see at the far end of your field, Pat? Look closely. ;-)

Matt

Date:13-Feb-22

Three So far, still have a good bit of snow so I should find a lot more when that clears up.

GG- that was funny!

Date:14-Feb-22

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo

If you think you got wildlife, these pronghorn are on my "back 40". Just saying :) Ok, someone's back 40.

Pat looks like you collected the 2,3, and 4 year old shed off the same buck there lol.

ahunter76's embedded Photo

OK Pat. We now know you "should" be able to furnish us on Bowsite with MORE than ONE Blood trail challenge.. Please & thank you. Oh, this is "my" yard..

By: Jasper

Wow Pat, that field is beautiful!!!

Tonight’s photo. Sorry to keep posting these but I can’t believe what’s happening in my plots. This is why I love soybeans. They rock in both early and late season.

Date:15-Feb-22

Pat, have you noticed a negative impact of too many deer in your woods, say damaging your understory? Browse lines? I'll bet you will have some of the best shed hunting in the state! BC

Lived in Ohio all my life and have never seen that many deer in one place. You are Living right Pat.

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo

Not like your place Pat, but still happy with it. Buddy found our first shed Saturday.

Time/ date stamp is broken.

lol Pat sure hope one of them doesn't have CWD!

Those beans look pretty worked over. How many acres is that field Pat? My 4 acre bean fields have been decimated. They are hitting the corn now. I am worried about our turkeys. Layer of ice, covered with 6+ inches of snow for the last 3+ weeks. Supposed to get into the 50's this week. Put some corn out in the know roost areas and the deer won't let them eat it.

Tom, that field is 14 acres. There’s another 4 acre field right next to it. I walked it briefly on Saturday and irs still got 20% of the beans standing and probably more on the ground. I shot two does last week and they both had an inch or two of fat. My deer are well fed.

That is why you still have beans! In our area, if you don't have at least 10 acres, you are wasting your time. That is why we fence our fields. My biggest field is around 4 acres.

That is amazing. United Deer Farmers of North America (UDFofNA) winning 2021 farm. I'm soo jealous...

Keep posting the pics Pat. As near as I could, I counted 123?? deer in that pic.

About 15 years ago on my neighbors small field - 10 acres or so - I could count 30 plus deer every afternoon off my deck. Then the timber wolves moved in - now if I see 3 or 4 it's a good afternoon.

Better stop posting pics, the wolf lovers will be sure to have them "introduced" into your state next.

That's a pile of deer, Pat....holy moly!

WOW! Never saw so many deer in one place.

Looks like something spooked those deer in the last pic Pat. GG might be onto something! ;-)

Pat, with the warm rain and weather coming in the next couple of days, that should knock the snow down quite a bit. Still have 18-24 inches here. But, they are calling for more snow on Friday and Saturday.

What, didn't you guys realize all Ohio fields are full of deer like that...8^) Oh, and we have Booners hiding behind every tree here too...8^)))

Date:17-Feb-22

My son flew his drone two nights ago and got a pic of the entire bean field. We counted all the deer we could positively identify and came up with 247. We believe it’s even higher than that.

Good lord, I haven’t seen 247 deer in 4 years lol

Looks like a “super spreader” event!

I’ll bet they’re putting a major dent in your beans, now.

Troy, yeah. They’re gonna be wiped out soon. It really warmed up so the beans on the ground will keep them busy for a couple weeks.

Man Pat! Based on these pics, I'm thinking you really messed up. You should've bought in Illinois;)

Enjoy your land Pat you are blessed to have it.

That’s insane the number of deer on that place! So, Pat… what are your deer sightings like during hunting season? For instance, if I see 5-7 deer in a sit during October/November, I’d say it was a success. I do understand in your situation the deer are flocking from neighboring properties as well to browse on available food.

By: Blood

Pat, don’t forget - for fly-overs you have to use the 2x multiplier for the deer you can’t see. Lmfao

The CT guys will know what I’m talking about. ;)

Snow finally melted and I walked the field. Jackpot!

The big 4 point shed is from the big 8 above.

That’s quite the haul, Pat!

You could do something similar to your blood trail challenge. Maybe you could do something like taking guesses on the over/under of if or when you run an antler through a tractor tire this spring. Distance traveled before completely flat, estimated repair costs vs actual cost, before or after April 10th, moon phase. Any number of ways you could go!

Wow! Last time I seen deer like that was on drive in Iowa. Your herd numbers may jump alot when the fawns drop....unless the yotes tear them up.

I like that little rack in the upper left with the palmated crab claw.

Even with all the rain and warm weather. We still have about a foot of snow. Maybe next week it will when it warms up again I will get out.

Pat,

That's quite a shed haul from one field!

What do think is the age of the oldest deer represented in that pile of antlers? 4 years, maybe?

Matt

8 or 9 is the oldest. The weird horn, top left is what I call the freak buck. I had him under me twice and he's all arthritic and decrepit. He was really predictable and I told myself if I wasn't tagged out by January I would shoot him if given a chance. But I tagged out with a trophy buck in Nov.

The Big 4 point rack comes off my big 8. He's 5 or 6 this year. A real tank. I have his shed from last year. Interestingly, it's the only shed I found in my smaller food plot this year, and that's where I found his shed last year too. He's probably gonna be my resident target buck.

Impressive!

Pat,

It's obvious you have the land to support a lot of deer. Are you happy with the trophy gene potential of your herd? If not, what are your plans to improve it?

Matt

I am very happy with it. I'm also realistic. It's not SW Kansas or Iowa, it's Eastern Ohio.

I have a lot of bucks, 58 last year and 52 this year that have rolled through my property. I shot a PY 8 this year, and I have several PY bucks frequenting the property including a couple of 160+ this year. Thats pretty damn good for 130 acres.

There's some downsides to the area. The biggest problem is there's a lot of hunting and I'm surrounded by many small parcels. But most guys are really good about passing up young bucks.

All I can do is to make sure I have the destination property in our area with my food and security program, and since I'm the only person hunting there I can make sure nobody shoots young bucks on my ground.

So far, I'm extremely happy with my Ohio purchase.

Your hard work is paying off and it’s very impressive. Congratulations Pat!

Pat,

Thanks, I was just curious. While I'd love to find that many sheds on my property, none of them would make me dream about killing the buck that dropped them, if I was still into the whole "trophy" thing, which I'm not.

I'm glad you found your slice of paradise.

Matt

Grey Ghost…..I’m curious if you’re left handed?

Nope. I've always been good with my left, if I needed it. But my right is my go-to. How about you, Troy?

Matt

From the nature of most of your compliments, I just naturally assumed…..

Date:18-Feb-22

Ya that was a nice back handed comment. Pretty sweet all them antlers you're finding. Dreaming about what bucks may turn into is a big part of it. Finding their antlers is a major bonus. Simply awesome!

Outstanding Pat, nice to see someones hard work get paid out in spades.

Yup, that upper left is the first one I zeroed in on as well. The more mass the better - love those bladed bucks.

T-roy & Grunter, I agree, he just can't give a nice compliment without jabbing that knife in just a little - a "one-upper" kind of a thing.

Good tip: Get a wireless keyboard and go stash it somewhere when you read Bowsite... only use your mouse. ;)

As long as Pat has a "safe zone" on his property and doesn't over-indulge, he has a decent shot of at least having a little impact on trophy potential. He ain't owned the ground very long, and you don't just make it better in a year. We already know he tends to target specific bucks, and being religious about that is a good way for other good bucks to grow.

By: sitO

Nice haul of sheds! Alfalfa early season, beans late, as long as they're secluded you can't go wrong.

Simply incredible! Amazing what habitat and management will do. A farm I hunted went from hero to zero simply with having about 160 acres come out of CRP and go in to production.

By: goyt

I can only imagine how good your deer herd will be in 5 to 10 years. All of the quality food at a time when they need it the most should allow each generation to get bigger and healthier. I am looking forward to seeing what you have next year after only 2 years of quality winter feed.

Date:19-Feb-22

Pat, I was plowing my food plots today, thinking about what to plant and this thread convinced me to plant a lot more soybeans this year and leave them standing thru the winter!

I remember when you were actually considering buying land in eastern KY and elsewhere; you made the right choice!

Date:20-Feb-22

Thanks Jeff, I never looked in Kentucky although the land is 1/2 the price of Ohio. I love the season structure and one buck tad in Ohio. It’s probably the best state for bowhunting.

I looked at 200 properties online and visited 18 in Ohio. I knew this was the property I wanted after walking it for 30 minutes.

Date:28-Feb-22

Just got back from Kansas and took a walk through my plots again. Only found 3 but one of them is the same buck shed from last year. Amazing growth in one year but it’s also identical in configuration. I passed him two years in a row. I think he’s 4 or 5 next year.

By: SBH
Date:01-Mar-22

#jealous

Am guessing he'll be 4 this year Pat, the small shed is too thick for a dink Ohio yearling basket rack and too small for a 3-year old, the two sheds look very typical size for 2 and 3 year old Ohio buck...

WOW that's Awesome! You Should find a few !

Date:26-Mar-22

Crazy amount of deer! Your neighbors should be buying you dinner and beers all summer for giving the deer (and turkeys and pheasants) a high protein winter food source!

Great to see!

Congrats Pat!

Mark

Date:26-Mar-22

That looks like a cull buck candidate for the BOWSITE winner of hunt with Pat contest.

Good luck to all!!!

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.